DESMOND L. COOKS
Desmond L. Cooks is a criminal and civil trial lawyer whose practice areas include all Criminal Misdemeanors and Felonies; Personal Injury Litigation (i.e. auto accidents, premise liability/slip and falls, and products liability); and Family Law matters (i.e. divorces, child support, and child custody issues).
Prior to launching Cooks Law Firm, PLLC, Desmond worked with Scheef & Stone L.L.P. where his practice areas included commercial and business litigation, real estate disputes, defending complex commercial disputes and general negligence litigation. He has prior experience in handling workers’ compensation matters, in addition to employment matters for corporations and major insurance carriers.
Desmond also represented the State of Texas in criminal matters and has acted as lead counsel in over 70 jury and/or bench trials. As an associate with The Willis Law Group, he conducted several jury trials. He successfully attained jury finds of No-Liability in each case.
Desmond has been appointed as an Associate Municipal Judge for the City of Dallas.
Areas of Practice
- Personal Injury
- Criminal Defense
- Business Law
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Texas
- Baylor University School of Law, Waco, Texas
- University of North Texas, Denton, Texas
- Honors: cum laude
- Major: Criminal Justice
- United States Navy, Operation Specialist, Second Class Petty Officer
- Honors: Awarded Navy Achievement Medal
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Dallas Bar Association
Past Employment Positions
- Scheef & Stone, Associate, 2013 to 2015
- Willis Law Group, Associate, 2011 to 2013
- Helms & Greene, Associate, 2010 to 2011
- Assistant City Attorney - Prosecution Division, 2008 to 2010
Pro Bono Activities
- Board of Directors of Gateway Charter Academy
- Associate in Patrick Higginbotham Inn of Courts 2012 - 2013